Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Victory!

Bag already talked about this in his blog, but I'm going to too. We had a big tournament "party" last night where the Wolf, the Bag and I all played about 25 tournaments total. We agreed to split profits on any tournament that all three of us were in. At first things didn't look so good. Wolf and I quickly dropped out of several tournies, and out of the 4 I played, I only made it past the first hour in one of them. I was getting terrible cards, and worse, would play mediocre hands like AJo huge because they were the best I was seeing. Bag was doing well which was great to see, and I figured that we'd be entirely reliant on him to make any money.

The only one I was still in was a $33 with 150 players. With about 50 people left, I had 3k chips while the average stack was about 11k. I was sure I was out but I stole a couple of blinds and then took out a guy who had 1k with KJ against J9. That brought me up to 6k, and I actually felt like there was hope! After that I was able to bluff and bludgeon my way up to an average stack, and was starting to feel more confident. Bag was still a very short stack but was clinging in there, and with 30 left-- 10 til the money-- both of us were still in. At about this time I was placed at a table with a player named BlutzforMe who was a ridiculously loose aggressive player. He raised about 50% of the pots, and worked a slightly above average stack into a dominant force. I was so relieved to still be alive that I let him do it most of the time. He was to my right though, so I had fun every once and a while going all in behind him and forcing him to fold. I did it with pretty much anything, from 46o to AQs and I could tell it drove him crazy. No one else would mess with him, though, so while both of our stacks were growing, theirs were constantly getting smaller.

This is the way the tourney went for pretty much the rest of the time. Bag crawled into the money, and then started getting some chips back. The first hand he raised he doubled his stack just by stealing the blinds. We were at separate tables, and still able to cheer for each other which was nice. As he continued to steal, I began the bludgeon, and started reraising, stealing and being thoroughly annoying to everyone in general. I knocked a few players out, although Bluntz did a lot of the work as well, and then we made it to the final table. Bag came into the final table as ashort stack with 30k and I was the second big stack with 63k, and Blutz had 112k. I lost some of my stack when I folded raises to reraises. I lost more when I doubled Bag up with KT against 44. That brought me down to 30k, and I was a little worried about my chances. When I got 99 UTG I made a desperate move and went all in. I was sure it was over when I was called by two players one of which was also all in and they flipped to show AQ and QQ. The flop was JT3 all hearts, but the miracle came when a 9 came on the turn. The river was a blank and I tripled up.

Play continued, and when it was down to 4 I was doing very well-- Bluntz and I were even in chips and Bag was low but hanging in there. The other guy was a rock appropriately named Rokkafella, but I took him out 88 against AT all in pre. Sadly Bag was my next victim when I eliminated him with A9 against his J8. Going into the final 2 I had a 3 to 1 chip lead and it was only a matter of time before I crushed him with my stack and bludgeoning. The final hand had me again with A9 and he had K6. No help on the board and Pickett is the victor!

No comments: