Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Poker Season begins!

I'd taken a long break from poker, but with my frustration at work I've recently returned to it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I started playing again! My comeback combined with the WSOP main event showing on ESPN makes it feel like we've started a "poker season" much like hunting season or a sports season. Suddenly it's on TV, everyone is playing (although most of my friends play all the time, but still...). Next year I'm expecting jerseys and pre-season matches.

I'm playing small stakes, and obviously the level of play is not the best, but I was simultaneously stunned, enraged, and completely bewildered after playing this hand:

$25 NL Texas Hold'em - Wednesday, August 23, 02:23:03 ET 2006
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Nirrem198 ( $19.93 )
Seat 3: PunkyPickett ( $55.57 )
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to PunkyPickett [ Qc Qh ]
Nirrem198 calls [$0.25].
PunkyPickett raises [$1.25].
Nirrem198 calls [$1].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qs, 8s, 9s ]
Nirrem198 bets [$3].
PunkyPickett raises [$11].
(very long pause, Nirrem uses up almost all of his time.)
Nirrem198 calls [$8].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5c ]
Nirrem198 is all-In [$7.68]
PunkyPickett calls [$7.68].
** Dealing River ** [ Jh ]
Nirrem198 shows [ Kc, Td ] a straight, nine to king.
PunkyPickett shows [ Qc, Qh ] three of a kind, queens.
Nirrem198 wins $38.21 from the main pot with a straight, nine to king.

I don't understand what was going on in Nirrem's head, but I've come to the conclusion that he was probably drunk, high, or both. Or recently was lobotomized. He called a monster raise with a gutty and no spade. Perhaps he thought king high was good. Mostly though, I'm really pleased with the way I played it. I don't think I could've played it better, but with an opponent like that it's hard to say. I'm definitely rusty coming back into the game, but I'm happy with my "learning curve." I'm starting to get my moves back-- and it's not all bludgeoning, Moon (although a lot of it is... it just works)!!

I'm having a lot of success at the tourneys-- monied in 3 out of 5 today-- and have spread my horizons to the cash games as well. I definitely need more practice, but it's coming along. I got into a big hole last night but managed to grind myself out of it, and today was up a lot considering the stakes! I'm very hopeful, and it's a great way to wind down after a frustrating day at work. As the Wolf says "get home from work, play poker for an hour, make 50 bucks." That's the plan, hopefully it'll continue to work!

2 comments:

GnightMoon said...

I'd really like to play against you. I think I can handle THE BLUDGEON now

Bag said...

Observe it.