Wednesday, November 12, 2008

HBO to Produce Ice and Fire Pilot

It's so weird because I had a feeling that big news was coming from George RR Martin soon. I've been checking his blog every day when I usually only check it once a week. I was hoping that it would be news that the next installation of his series, A Dance with Dragons, was finished and was being sent to the printers, which turned out not to be true. But my instincts were good and I was rewarded for my diligence with the news that I saw today, which is almost as exciting:

HBO has officially picked up the option to turn GRRM's series into a TV series and they just announced that they will be making the pilot! If the pilot looks good then they'll greenlight the show (I think). There've been so many hoops to jump through, so many ifs and buts, but now it looks like it's actually going to happen.

Almost as cool, the producers said that they would take fan suggestions for casting! Obviously the lists that I've made won't fly since most of them are major actors, but it's still cool to feel like we can be a part of it! If you are interested in voicing your opinion, I highly recommend going to this website: http://www.westeros.org/, then go into the Ice and Fire forums, and then Game of Thrones: The Series. Cast a vote, and be a dork like me and start joining the forums too! (This is my secret haunt, which is no longer secret. I am officially giving up the claim to knowing the most about a Song of Ice and Fire amongst my friends.)



Wish I could blog more, but now I'm off on a work field trip!

4 comments:

TheGraveWolf said...

Who knows more than you among our friends??

PunkyPickett said...

At this point no one. What I meant to say is that this may not be true in the future, now that I've named my source :)

GnightMoon said...

Very exciting news. Any word when this might air?

PunkyPickett said...

I don't think there is. They still need to cast it, show it to HBO, and if they like it then it will air. But that's quite a few steps from where they are now. Just read an article that said that 10 pilots will be auditioned, and they think that somewhere around 6 will get the green light. So I think that's pretty good odds for "Game of Thrones" as it will be called