Friday, October 10, 2008

Survivor: Gabwned

The new season of survivor started a few weeks ago, and as usual the Survivor pool has begun again. Here's the line-up:

Pickett
Charlie
Crystal
Randy

Bag
Marcus
Matty
Kelly

Alia
Ace
Sugar
Susie

Doug
Jacquie
Bob
Dan

Moon
Corinne
GC
Kenny

The coolest part of the picks this year is they lined up perfectly with the tribes switching up right after we made them. So in a season where I already feel it's anyone's game, it made the picks even that much harder to choose well. I'm really happy with my team. I think that Charlie is in the lead right now as most likely to win, but I've got my dark horse Randy in there who I think will do very well (despite being picked 2nd to last) and Crystal, who will probaby get far although she probably won't win (unless all hell breaks loose again).

The second-best picks I think go to Bag. He's got Marcus who I think is really strong and Matty, who looks like he's in better shape now with a tribal mix-up than he was before. Kelly is about as useless as they come, but with two other strong picks, Bag will probably get far in this pool.

Alia I think is the third strongest. Sugar has the immunity idol, which is a huge boost, and I think she's playing the game well besides. Ace is pretty indispensible right now, so I think he'll get further than he would have without the mix-up. Alia got stuck with Susie as the last person picked, but I still think that she is a better option than Kelly and GC, so it could've been worse!

Doug has probably been the most rocked by the tribes mixing up. His number 1 pick was booted the very next episode basically because she was playing the game too well and her new tribe saw her as a threat. His 2 other guys Bob and Dan are both average players, and I think one or both of them will make the jury, but it's unlikely that they will crack the top 4. They don't have the alliances going their way.

Moon I think has the worst team. Corinne is an okay pick, but I think one episode depicted her as being a bigger player in the game than she will end up being. Moon picking GC in the second round was probably the worst move I've seen in the draft, although he did pick Eric "stupidest survivor ever" last season, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.


The prize this season? Probably a dinner paid for by all the losers, but more importantly, the winner will break the current 5-way tie we have going. Everyone in this pool has one once: I won with Danni in Guatemala, Moon won with Yul in the race v. race Survivor, Bag won with Parvati in fans v. faves, Doug won with Earl in Fiji, and Alia won with Todd in China.

3 comments:

GnightMoon said...

One thing you can always count on from the Pickett - disparaging remarks about the Moon. But come on, how can you possibly put me below Doug?

I'd rank it:

1. Bag - only player with 2 legitimate home run threats
2. Pickett - one top threat and two dark horses
3. Moon - the overall favorite, one darkhorse, and one very poor second round pick
4. Alia - her top players are too dependent on each other and Ace has too strong a personality
5. Doug - took a terrible beat and has no firepower

PunkyPickett said...

Well Moon I guess it's because I don't think you have the all-around favorite pick. I think you're overestimating Corinne. My main reason for arguing this is that I don't think she's gotten enough TV time. That's why I didn't think Jacquie was a good pick either. She'd gotten no interview times. Which would lead into why I think I have the best picks. Randy and Charlie are getting tons of interview time, and if you look at the winners of the show in the past, you'll notice that most of them are given a lot of face time starting at the very beginning of the show.

I will concede that your picks probably improved with the tribe switch last week though. GC and Kenny are horrible, but they are in the majority on their tribe right now. However, they are getting a lot of negative attention right now while Doug's picks are flying under the radar-- overall a better strategy.

GnightMoon said...

This interview time theory is something I have been thinking about for years. In general I think you're right, and I am concerned about Corinne's lack of face-time last week. You're right also, Jacquie got the least of that quartet and she was quick to go. Later on of course the eventual winner will be getting a lot of face time, so you never know. It is a theory that deserves investigation.